Carson City

Carson City is an independent city and the capital of the state of Nevada. The County is located in the western portion of the state. With an estimated present population of 54,997 consisting of approximately 21,692 Households, Carson City ranks 9th in Annual Median Household Income (AMHI) in Nevada at $51,684 per household. In 2017 the county ranked 4th in total population among Nevada’s seventeen counties. Like other independent cities in the United States, the city is treated as a county-equivalent for census purposes.

Prior to 1969, Carson City was, in fact, the county seat of Ormsby County. In 1969, the county was abolished, and its territory was merged with Carson City to form the Consolidated Municipality of Carson City. With the consolidation, the city limits today extend west across the Carson Range, a spur of the Sierra Nevada, to the California state line in the middle of Lake Tahoe. With 67.5% of its present population being employed in the Private Sector, and the remaining 32.5% in Government related jobs, Carson City functions as a thriving employment base for both itself and its neighboring communities.

County Seat: Carson City County Seat

Carson City and its Housing Markets

Population

54,997

Median Household Size

2.40

Median Age

56

Median Household Income

$51,648

Housing Units

The following summarizes the distribution of homeowners versus renters among the total housing units in all areas.

Total Units

Central 7,581
East 147
Northeast 3,132
Southeast 6,315
Southwest 4,039
West 478
All Areas 21,692

Homeowners

Renters

Central 40.0%
60.0%
East 76.7%
23.3%
Northeast 66.2%
33.8%
Southeast 62.2%
37.8%
Southwest 61.3%
38.7%
West 92.1%
7.9%
All Areas 55.6%
44.4%

Estimated Occupied Units

The following summarizes the distribution of homeowners versus renters among the estimated occupied units in all areas.

All Renters

All Homeowners

Estimated Renter-Occupied Units

9,635

Estimated Owner-Occupied Units

12,057

Median Gross Rent

$927

Median Housing Value

$241,921

Median Rental Year Built

1979

Median Owner Year Built

1984

Percent Overburdened

41.3%

Percent Overburdened

27.8%

Overburdened Households

The following summarizes the number of households in all areas paying 30% or more of annual income toward housing costs. These households are considered overburdened.

Total Units

Central 2,634
East 28
Northeast 896
Southeast 2,072
Southwest 1,600
West 101
All Areas 7,331

Homeowners

Renters

Central 48.6%
25.5%
East 15.9%
29.4%
Northeast 20.9%
43.7%
Southeast 22.4%
49.9%
Southwest 19.1%
72.2%
West 16.6%
73.7%
All Areas 27.8%
41.3%
Percentage Age 65 and older

Sign up for more data

Sign Up